Introducing the new Instinct and Instinct BC Edition
Stable and aggressive, the Instinct is our most versatile trail bike.
With 29" wheels and a wide range of RIDE-9™ adjustments, the all new Instinct is available in both carbon and alloy models. An all-new frame for 2018 pushes the rear travel to 140mm, increasing stiffness and tweaking the suspension kinematics. Despite the increase in travel, the new frame has noticeably more efficient pedaling, with better small-bump sensitivity and a host of next-generation features.
In the same family, born in BC, we’ve turned the Instinct BC Edition into an aggressive trail monster.
Designed with an optimized link and long stroke shock that provide 155mm of rear travel and ultra-aggressive geometry, we’ve kitted out the Instinct BC Edition with wide bars, big tires, ultra-stiff wheels, and more capable suspension. It smashes all mountain lines, rails corners, and plows over everything in sight, while displaying all the climbing efficiency that makes the Instinct a crowd favourite.
Limited availability starting August 24th. General availability in mid to late October. Please head to your local Rocky Mountain Bicycles Dealer to preorder your new Instinct or Instinct BC Edition.
“I can't believe how much fun I've had riding the new Instinct. I was blown away by how effortlessly the bike carries speed, while improvements to the geometry and stiffness keep it nimble and stable. The Instinct has handled every type of terrain I've thrown at it and even opened up new lines for me on trails I've been riding for over a decade." - Thomas Vanderham
Intended Use: Trail
Wheel Size: 29" (27.5+ ready)
Front Travel: 140mm
Rear Travel: 140mm
INSTINCT BC EDITION
Intended Use: Aggressive Trail
Wheel Size: 29" (27.5+ ready)
Front Travel: 160mm
Rear Travel: 155mm
Improved suspension performance
We’ve increased overall progression and support at sag, while making small-bump performance even more sensitive. Higher anti-squat values dramatically improve pedaling efficiency.
Next generation features
Comprehensive evolutionary updates across the platform include features like tooled axles, singlesided bearing pivots, integrated “Spirit Guide” chainguide, boost spacing, and metric shock compatibility.
Our RIDE-9™ system provides a wide range of geometry and suspension adjustability; it has been moved into the link for lighter, narrower packaging. Instinct BC Edition, with its increased travel, comes with a single mounting position in its link to provide the best balance of travel and geometry.
To add control and descending capability, we’ve increased reach, slackened the headtube angle, and lowered the bottom bracket. We’ve significantly shortened the chain stays to improve agility and used a moderately steep seat tube for efficient climbing performance.
- Increased anti-squat for better pedaling efficiency
- 29” Wide Trail and 27.5+ compatible
- Max tire clearance is 29 x 2.6, and 27.5 x 2.8 (3.0 with low profile knobs)
- Bearings at all pivots, including at lower shock mount (compatible with aftermarket shocks as well)
- Blind pivots maximize heel clearance
- Lighter, tooled rear axle
- All Instinct models include the FSA extend-O-matic headset. The bike ships with a second (taller) headset bottom cup, which allows the rider to opt for 27.5+ wheels without negatively affecting handling, and no fork swap is required.
- Improved cable management: large headtube ports, full shift housing, large downtube access port, and internal shift and brake housing within the front triangle
- Future-proofed to be compatible with Di2, Fox Live, and a dropper post simultaneously
- Seat-tube lengths have been adjusted to accommodate longer dropper posts at maximum insertion.
- Chainstay and downtube protectors. *Due to production delays, the initial shipment of 2018 Pipelines will not include chainstay and downtube protectors. They will be shipped to shops as soon as they’re available. The October shipment will have them installed.
- Integrated “Spirit Guide” chainguide, with 2-bolt ISCG05
- BC Edition features a dedicated link delivering 155mm of travel and fixed geometry
- 1x optimized design with wider main pivot
- Lower standover height
- Significantly stiffer thanks to one-piece seat stays, new envelope, and updated layup (47.7% more lateral stiffness)
- Modern parts compatibility (boost spacing, metric shock lengths, post-mount 180mm brakes, etc.)
- All sizes fit a water bottle in the front triangle, even with a reservoir shock
- Sizes: S-XL
- Frame & shock: 5.09lb (2310g), size Medium
- Frame & shock: 5.62lb (2550g), size Medium, Instinct BC Ed.
- Protectors, chainguide, & axle: 0.57lb (260g)
- Instinct Carbon 70 complete: 27.4lb (12.4kg), size Medium
- Instinct Carbon 90 BC Edition complete: 29.5lb (13.4kg), size Medium
We have a new naming convention In the interest of describing our lineup more clearly, we’ve updated our naming conventions. What used to be called Instinct 970 MSL is now Instinct Carbon 70, and what used to be called Instinct 950 is now Instinct Alloy 50. The Instinct still uses high-quality Smoothwall carbon and FORM alloy frames, and higher spec numbers still indicate higher end specs.Riders: Geoff Gulevich and Thomas Vanderham Photo: Margus Riga Location: Whistler, BC
Riders: Geoff Gulevich and Thomas Vanderham Photo: Margus Riga Location: Whistler, BC Riders: Geoff Gulevich and Thomas Vanderham Photo: Margus Riga Location: Whistler, BC Riders: Geoff Gulevich and Thomas Vanderham Photo: Anthony Smith Location: Mt Barbour, BC
Limited quantities and sizes available from August 24th. General availability from mid to late October. Please head to your local Rocky Mountain dealer to pre-order. Regional availability may vary.