The all-new Pipeline combines the confidence of plus-sized tires in raw, technical terrain with an aggressive trail chassis.
An all-new 2018 Pipeline frame pushes the rear travel to 140mm, increases stiffness, adjusts the suspension kinematics for more efficient pedaling and better small-bump sensitivity, and gives the frame a host of next-generation features. Available in both carbon and alloy models, the Pipeline plows through greasy roots and square-edged chunder with authority, while providing near limitless traction on rocky, slippery climbs.
Limited availability starting August 24th. General availability in mid to late October. Please head to your local Rocky Mountain Bicycles Dealer to preorder your new Pipeline.
“With its plus tires, the Pipeline lets my imagination run wild with what is possible on the trails. It allows me to do all of the crazy things that I can think of." - Jesse Melamed
Intended Use: Aggressive Trail
Wheel Size: 27.5+ (29" ready)
Front Travel: 140mm
Rear Travel: 140mm
Improved suspension performance
We’ve increased overall progression and support at sag, while making small-bump performance even more sensitive. Higher anti-squat values dramatically improve pedaling efficiency.
Next generation features
Comprehensive evolutionary updates across the platform include features like tooled axles, singlesided bearing pivots, integrated “Spirit Guide” chainguide, boost spacing, and metric shock compatibility.
Our RIDE-9™ system provides a wide range of geometry and suspension adjustability; it has been moved into the link for lighter, narrower packaging.
To add control and descending capability, we’ve increased reach, slackened the headtube angle, and lowered the bottom bracket. We’ve significantly shortened the chain stays to improve agility and used a moderately steep seat tube for efficient climbing performance.
- Increased anti-squat for better pedaling efficiency
- 27.5+ and 29" Wide Trail compatible
- Max tire clearance is 27.5 x 2.8 (3.0 with low profile knobs) and 29 x 2.6
- Bearings at all pivots, including at lower shock mount (compatible with aftermarket shocks as well)
- Blind pivots maximize heel clearance
- Lighter, tooled rear axle
- All Pipeline models include the FSA extend-O-matic headset. The bike ships with a second (shorter) headset bottom cup, which allows the rider to opt for 29" wheels without negatively affecting handling, and no fork swap is required.
- Improved cable management: large headtube ports, full shift housing, large downtube access port, and internal shift and brake housing within the front triangle
- Future-proofed to be compatible with Di2, Fox Live, and a dropper post simultaneously
- Seat-tube lengths have been adjusted to accommodate longer dropper posts at maximum insertion.
- Chainstay and downtube protectors. *Due to production delays, the initial shipment of 2018 Pipelines will not include chainstay and downtube protectors. They will be shipped to shops as soon as they’re available. The October shipment will have them installed.
- Integrated “Spirit Guide” chainguide, with 2-bolt ISCG05
- 1x optimized design with wider main pivot
- Lower standover height
- Significantly stiffer thanks to one-piece seat stays, new envelope, and updated layup (47.7% more lateral stiffness)
- Modern parts compatibility (boost spacing, metric shock lengths, post-mount 180mm brakes, etc.)
- All sizes fit a water bottle in the front triangle, even with a reservoir shock
- Sizes: S-XL
- Frame & shock: 5.09lb (2310g), size Medium
- Protectors, chainguide, & axle: 0.57lb (260g)
- Pipeline Carbon 70 complete: 29.1lb (13.2kg), size Medium
We have a new naming convention In the interest of describing our lineup more clearly, we’ve updated our naming conventions. What used to be called Pipeline 950 MSL is now Pipeline Carbon 50, and what used to be called Pipeline 950 is now Pipeline Alloy 50. The Pipeline still uses high-quality Smoothwall carbon and FORM alloy frames, and higher spec numbers still indicate higher end specs.Rider: Jesse Melamed Photo: Margus Riga Location: Whistler, BC Rider: Jesse Melamed Photo: Margus Riga Location: Whistler, BC Rider: Jesse Melamed Photo: Margus Riga Location: Whistler, BC
Limited quantities and sizes available from August 24th. General availability from mid to late October. Please head to your local Rocky Mountain Bicycles dealer to pre-order. Regional availability may vary.
See the full line-up here with complete details. Check out the full list of models with specs and geometry.