When XC gets rowdy, the agile and playful Thunderbolt shines. With 120mm of SMOOTHLINK™ travel and 27.5” wheels, the Thunderbolt delivers a great mix of intuitive XC capabilities and pure, playful trail fun.
"The Thunderbolt is my kind of XC bike. It's got a natural feel and tackles the climbs exceptionally well. On the descents it provides the kind of small bump sensitivity usually reserved for longer travel bikes.” -Thomas Vanderham
Rocky Mountain's entire development team unanimously agreed on the need for a fun XC bike that stands on the shoulders of our dedicated XC race bikes. By understanding the attributes of race bikes, we tested and perfected the numbers to arrive at geometry that lends a more playful feeling to riding cross-country. We were able to design a short 426mm rear end on the Thunderbolt, tucking the 27.5” wheel in close to the rider for lots of maneuverability and agility. At the same time, the top tube has been lengthened from traditional Rocky Mountain designs to accommodate today's shorter stems and wider bars. Our Engineers and test-riders like Thomas Vanderham experimented tirelessly to arrive at the bike's 68.5° headtube angle, balancing the unique handling-properties of both XC and trail riding styles.
- No-nonsense FORM™ Alloy frame with 27.5" wheels for agile, playful handling
- 120mm of XC-tuned SMOOTHLINK™ Suspension delivers exceptional climbing traction and a stable pedalling platform
- ABC™ Pivots are lighter, more durable and laterally stiffer than conventional bearing systems
- BB92 pressfit bottom bracket provides maximum lateral stiffness
- 142mm E-Thru rear axle to increase stiffness (Thunderbolt 710 utilizes F/R quick release)
- Internal cable routing keeps cables neatly stowed, with service-friendly ports
- Internal “Stealth” dropper-post routing tucks the housing inside the frame for minimal clutter (with external option)