Dumbing Down the Shore
Wade Simmons finally speaks out on what he calls the "de-gnarification" of Vancouver's North Shore.
With apologies to Keyser Söze.
Featuring the new Rocky Mountain Pipeline
Starring Wade Simmons, Brett Tippie, Geoff Gulevich, Eric Lawrenuk, Andreas Hestler, and Todd "Digger" Fiander
Created by Union Co.
Produced by Brian Park
Thanks to the NSMBA for all their work
Photography by Margus Riga
Introducing the Pipeline
The confidence of plus-sized tires in raw, technical terrain is now available in an aggressive trail chassis. The new Pipeline plows through greasy roots and square-edged chunder with authority, while providing near limitless traction on rocky, slippery climbs.
- Wheel Size: 27.5+
- Intended Use: Aggressive Trail
- Front Travel: 150mm
- Rear Travel: 130mm
“Early on in testing I realized I could take the ‘stupid lines’ on our local North Shore trails and the big tires would just flow straight through them,” said product manager Ken Perras. “The more technical a line, the more I felt like I was cheating.”
- Smoothwall carbon front triangle, FORM alloy rear triangle
- Fits up to 27.5x3.25 tires
- 1x specific
- Lightweight bolt-on axles save 50g per bike compared to a Maxle
- BC2™ pivots feature grease ports for easy maintenance
- Stealth dropper post equipped
- Internal cable routing
- PressFit BB92 bottom bracket, IS42/IS52 headset, Boost axle spacing
- Sizing: S/M/L/XL
The Pipeline is based on our much-loved Instinct platform. Like the Instinct, the Pipeline is stable and balanced, with a massive range of adjustments available thanks to RIDE-9. A neutral bottom bracket drop and plus-specific fork offset contribute to an intuitive ride feel with excellent steering dynamics.
Riders attacking technical, choppy terrain will immediately feel the benefits of high-volume plus tires. Their large contact patch and lower pressures improve traction, mud shedding, and small-bump compliance for more on-trail confidence.
- RIDE-9™ — The RIDE-9™ system allows riders to adjust geometry and suspension rates to specific riding styles, terrain, and rider weights. Nine configurations are possible thanks to two interlocking chip inserts that move on two separate axes.
- SMOOTHWALL™ CARBON — Smoothwall™ carbon uses one of the world’s most sophisticated carbon processes to build frames with industry leading stiffness-to-weight, ride quality, and durability. By using rigid internal molds, we are able to perfect the shape of the internal features and eliminate excess materials. We use different types of carbon in specific frame areas to maximize stiffness and impact resistance while minimizing overall weight.
- FORM™ ALLOY — FORM™ alloy tubesets are engineered for specific purposes within each frame, ensuring optimized strength, weight, and ride quality. FORM™ tubesets use premium materials to meet our strict requirements.
- SMOOTHLINK™ SUSPENSION — Smoothlink™ suspension stays supple yet supportive through a wider range of gears than conventional single pivot or other four-bar suspension configurations. This patented system reduces both pedal-bob and bottom-outs, while allowing us to fine tune variables like braking and climbing traction across a wide range of intended uses.
- BC2™ PIVOTS — BC2™ pivots are lighter and stiffer than conventional bearing pivots. Unlike other bushings, our patented system uses a hardened alloy insert that bottoms out to control the contact of the bushing surfaces, reducing the preload that causes stiction and binding. BC2™ Pivots also feature grease ports for effortless maintenance.